Friday, June 20, 2008

DAD'S ODE TO A GARDEN

I have a proud history with the lowly vegetable garden.  My grandfathers and grandmothers grew grand gardens. Grandpa Memmott grew much produce for the family after work. Grandma and Grandpa Losee's garden grew great and unusual vegetables.  Grandma Shurtz's garden was just past her beautiful rose garden  On our farm, Mom and Dad always had a great garden and I studied it in 4-H.  I always liked it.  We have a plaque which says "To garden is to believe in tomorrow".  Planting a garden requires faith.  In Enoch it requires much faith. This year's garden is just poking through the ground.  Hurray for seeds, sunshine, water and dirt.  Boo for weeds.  There was a time when each child had a row of their own, now they have a garden (sometimes).

 

2008_06_14 002

 

  June, 2008

Think it will grow?

 

 

 

 

2005-05-28 111

 

 

  May, 2005

Dustin, Avery, & Carolyn helping Grampy plant his garden

 

 

Avery carefully placing the corn seeds deep in the ground.

2005-05-28 106

 

By Fall the faith has been converted to knowledge of fine corn on the cob, cucumbers and tomatoes, carrots and beets.  The peas have been picked on the vine, and if I'm lucky, with children or grandchildren. 

2006_09_16 012

 

 

  August, 2006

Eliza thinking about the joys of gardening.

 

 

2006_09_16 013   

 

Eliza helping to harvest the garden.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I wish that I could have a yard and a garden! It looks really good this year. No weeds as of yet. Hopefully you'll pass on some of those yummy veggies to me!