Saturday, January 7, 2012

Scotland, Here We Come! (Part 4)

Day 5 (Continued)
There was so much to see as we were driving - towns and villages that were a mixture of the old and new, old "kirks" (churches) with the cemeteries surrounding them, more "lochs" (lakes), beautiful old stonework, castles poking out here and there in the mountains or trees (some were ruins, others were lived in), and everywhere you turned such beautiful scenery.



One of the ruins that we visited on the tour was Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness.  One of the families on the tour took a tour boat out on Loch Ness looking for "Nessie" the famous Loch Ness Monster. (They didn't have any luck!)  The rest of us enjoyed wandering around the ruins.  (As a side note:  I was wearing a step-counter, and I averaged over 11,000 steps each day even though we were also riding on a bus for a good share of the day!)



Another one of the signs that is in both Gaelic and English.

We stopped at the end of the day in the city of Nairn where our hotel was located.  Nairn is on the shore of the North Sea.  Roger and I went out for a walk before dinner which took us through a residential area down to the North Sea.  I thought this wall was kind of cool because it was covered with moss or lichen -- a result of all the moisture in Scotland.  Everything was really green.

This was the manor house that was hiding behind the wall.  You can't see it, but off to the side is some kind of guest house or caretaker's home or something.

Roger and I on the shores of the North Sea.  (It was a little chilly with the breeze that was blowing.)  Another couple was nice enough to take a picture for us.

I thought the beach had some great contrasts -- blue water, black rocks, green moss, gray beach.  We loved it!

  After dinner some local people shared their talent.  A gentleman played the accordian, another played the bagpipes, and two young girls did some of the Scottish folk dances.  It was fun and an enjoyable evening. 

The hotel we stayed in was a renovated manor house (kind of a small castle).  It had that "old world" charm and we were very comfortable.











2 comments:

Jen said...

So green! You're officially lass & laddie, now.

Nicole said...

How did I miss these! I just checked your latest post and I saw that you had posted multiple times but it didn't show it on my blog. These are so awesome! What an amazing trip! It is such a beautiful place; thanks for documenting it so well.